Are you tired of distributing forms and handouts and seeing the students LOOSE focus as you are passing them out?
I know I have been there in some of my classes.
The ability to pass out handouts and paperwork to the students effectively is so important. It minimized chaos and transitional time. It aid discipline and focus of the students.
I have started doing something different in the past two years for the very first day of school. It works very well for my classroom. I wonder what you think.
- As the students are walking in, I stand at the door welcoming them. I have music playing in the classroom as they walk in.
- Instead of waiting for all students to come in on order to start distributing paperwork they get each paper at the door as they are walking in.
- I place all papers on music stands and make it sort of like a “passage way” next to the door.
- Students walk in (or line up) get one of each papers and take a seat.
- The last letter ends up being a short quetionnnaire the students need to fill out while they are waiting for everyone to come to class. This serves as a bell ringer and minimized students talking as they sit down.
- I use music stands to place the paperwork. You can be creative with what you have in the room. Or…borrow a music stand from the music teacher at your school.
- In the past I use to to about 2-3 letters. This year I will make parent letters going home as a packet (stapled) and still provide a questionnaire that students fill out as they walk in.
Why I love it for the first day of school:
- The students have all parent letters before the actual class starts. It minimized disruption of me passing them out after each section of the first lesson of the year.
- It makes the room more organized. It makes me more organized having the parent letters placed in order, instead of keeping them next to me and having to remember which one to distribute when.
- It minimizes transition time whiting the lesson.
- Thy love hearing music play on the first day of school. Especially the new students at the school.
- It is an easy way to integrate music into the core subjects. If you are a music teacher, having students listen to music is nesessary from day one.
After first the day of school:
I use the same idea. As the students are walking in, at the same spot by the door I have a bell ringer for them. They need to fill it out while waiting for the class to start.
When starting this from the first day of school, the students get into the routine right away and it is a very nice discipline builder.
This can be implemented in ANY classroom. Also, what a great way to use music in the content from the very first day of school. (hint…and tell your principal that you have done it and you are over with…)
Related Posts About Beginning of the School Year Teacher Tips: