Kale Cranberry Salad

Healthy Side Salad for Thanksgiving and Winter

Holidays are wonderful for all the wonderful flavors surrounding the holiday meals. However, they can also be packed with calories and quite tricky for people trying to eat healthy. You can have a wonderful holiday table while still adding healthy dishes and sides. Here is one idea for a healthy kale salad. It is packed with vitamins and flavors. The salad is very effective for guests. You can arrange all ingredients into smaller plates for each guest or make it in a bigger bowl for everyone to serve from. At the same time the salad recipe is easy and inexpensive to make. It can easily become a regular weeknight dinner or lunch option.

You will need:
12 oz kale or baby kale
2 oz pecan halves
1 oz fresh whole cranberries (use more depending on taste)
1 granny smith apple
1 pear

Dressing:
The salad is already full of flavor. Dress very lightly with canola or olive oil and white wine vinegar.

If you are looking for a healthy side dish to include to your Holiday menu, you can also very easily turn the ingredients in the salad to a warm side dish. Adding some goat cheese on top would make all guests ask for more.

Now, I was quite tired when I made this kale side four days ago. It was already close to midnight. I am not sure if it was too late and too dark, or if I was in a hurry to actually eat it...but the picture did not turn out as well as others. Not a good representation, I know. So you would need to trust me on the fact that it is healthy and tasty...

12 comments:

That looks beautiful! I need to try kale again - I got some about a year ago and had no idea what to do with it and I did not make it well. It's so healthy that I need to try again! I can't mess up a salad, so this could be first on my list!

November 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM comment-delete

Thank you for your comment, Kristin. Yes, Kale is very healthy indeed. I must say that I was also a bit hesitant trying it for a while but I am glad I did.

November 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM comment-delete

Thank you for stopping in and linking with See Ya in the Gumbo. I'm not that familiar with the Recipe Magic site and wasn't sure if I should leave a comment there since the field is titled "review." Didn't want to mess up anything! Anyway...my favorite salads are a mixture of fruits, nuts, and greens so this one appeals to me. It's so bright and full of different textures. Thanks again for linking!

November 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM comment-delete

Thank you for being thoughtful, please feel free to offer your comments or feedback to any of my posts :) I am glad that you like the salad!

November 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM comment-delete

I actually really like both kale and cranberries, but I've never thought to put them together! I always keep an eye out for "fresh" veggies and fruit options on thanksgiving. I like tasty food, but i like to feel good after eating, too!

November 26, 2013 at 4:56 AM comment-delete

Yes having recipes that are healthy and make you feel good is important especially around the holidays:) Thanks for your comment and I hope you enjoy the cranberry-kale combination.

November 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM comment-delete

That looks delicious and perfect for lunch! Thanks for sharing at the Blog Hop Blitz!

November 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM comment-delete

Thank you for your comment, Tiffany.

November 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM comment-delete

I'm always looking for healthy recipes for my family and this one is a keeper! Hubby loves kale and I'm "learning" to like it. Thanks for joining our Home for the Holidays party. Hugs, Holly

December 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM comment-delete

It's great to have a healthy holiday recipe. The olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing sounds perfect. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

December 14, 2013 at 6:59 AM comment-delete

Yum, pretty, festive and healthy - perfect for the holidays. Thanks for linking up at Home for the Holidays Link party.

December 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM comment-delete

Kale is my favorite and the best greens!

December 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM comment-delete