Best Gift for a Teacher

No...this is not one of the posts where I try to sell you gifts through my website. The opinions are my own. They are not solicited. You will not be spending anything on reading this post!

Think about being a parent. What is the biggest gift you can receive from a grown child. For most of you that would be...appreciation. Parenting has many wonderful moments and many difficult ones. You have sacrificed time, lost years of sleep, worried night and day, and overcome hurt. At the end, you want your child to grow as a confident happy individual, and you want them to be able to appreciate parenting with the way they treat you and their own children.

Teachers are not much different. There is only one task more difficult than being a parent, and that is being a child's teacher. We work with many children. Often the hardest kids become the closest to our hearts. While doing this we also need to learn to handle bureaucracy, parenting miscommunications, extra paperwork, low pay. At the end we want the same. The road to teaching a child often leads through many frustrations on the way. It is also that the best teachers experience more of these frustrations. They care more. As everybody is busy in the teaching profession, often teachers and their colleagues don't find the time to slow down, reflect, and think about the positive aspects of their work.

What is more, the teaching profession does not offer an immediate reward. You plant a seed. Some children will be quick in learning. With others it may be years down the road to see progress. Often children think about certain teachers many years after they have graduated and they remember something about that teacher that has helped them. In may cases that has little to do with the teacher's content.

As a parent, you can help the teachers see that in their profession. By giving them Appreciation.

What is the best gift? A card, or better yet, letting the teacher know in person what they have done for your child! It is not about the little. It is not about the cute little gifts, or Christmas ornaments.

It is about the words being said.

My best teacher gifts? Having students who have graduated from my program come back and simply say hello!

My dream teacher gift? Having students who have graduated come and work with my younger students or simply spend more time!

11 comments:

Perfect! I have pinned this to my "parenting" board on Pinterest.

December 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM comment-delete

This is such a sweet post! I enjoyed going back to my old high school to see my teachers that I had that were still there. My absolute favorite teacher taught my mom so she actually ended up leaving not too long after I graduated. :) Thanks for sharing such thoughtful words with us at Countdown in Style, Maria. Don't forget to stop by to see if you are featured on Friday! xo

December 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM comment-delete

Thank you, Bonnie and Brittnei!

December 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM comment-delete

Yes, as a parent, I love it when my 8 year old tells me I'm the best mom in the world. I may have been abysmal as a parent that day, but I feel loved anyway.

Thank you for sharing this at Motivation Monday. Have a great week!

December 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM comment-delete

This is a timely reminder. My 13 year old wrote detailed thankyou cards for all of her high school teachers and to see their faces light up when they read them, was a true feel good moment. I'll be showing her your post for sure.

December 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM comment-delete

Oh, this is wonderful! Thank you for your comment, you have a lovely daughter!

December 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM comment-delete

Fab post! As a teacher I always love hearing parent appreciation! Stopping by from magic moments :)

December 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM comment-delete

Very true, everyone likes to be appreciated in any job, I know I would say the same #MagicMoments

December 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM comment-delete

True! We all need more appreciation in all we do. Jobs where you give yourself for the service of others, such as teaching, social work are especially hard as they are emotionally tiring. I feel in these professions appreciation is essential for keeping adults motivated.

December 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM comment-delete

Love this post. I think this what any teacher would love. I know if I taught students (other than my own kids) I would love for them to come back.

Thanks so much for linking up this post to the #homeschoollinkup.

December 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM comment-delete

I've gone back to visit my high school teachers. Recently we had a fourth grade reunion for my teacher. It was so cook to find that other people felt the same way I did about her teaching. Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

~~April~~