Looking for more Suzuki violin group class activities and ideas?
Look no further as we have dedicated this blog to Suzuki Violin group class ideas, activities and ready Suzuki Violin lesson plans. For this post, let me share our last favorite Suzuki Violin group class activity.
Before you read the full article, check our resource page where you can find lots of ready Suzuki practice games, Suzuki Pre-Twinkle group class ideas and fun Suzuki group class games.
I’ve started planning some of my Suzuki violin group classes to imitate the X-factor shows. The kids absolutely love it! This has become a favorite. It makes the Suzuki violin group classes and working on technical problems and review very effective as everyone is focused and engaged.
When teaching many Suzuki violin classes, you need to start getting as creative as possible after awhile. I do these activities at the University of New Mexico where I am a coordinator and so far it has been fun!
The Suzuki Violin Game:
You can use this game for any age Suzuki violin group class. It tends to work best with more experienced students but you can even adjust it for Pre-Twinkle group classes. You can see exact lesson plans below. The best part is that you can use this Suzuki violin group class activity to work on a variety of technical skills.
Simply choose three students to act as judges for a given piece or activity. Carefully give them instructions on how to give feedback. One of the judge has to be positive all the time. One has to provide more critical feedback (but not in a negative way) and one has to do both by giving both positive and what needs improvement.
Pick a specific song or technical concept in the song you want the Suzuki violin students to work on. In many cases that could be staying together and watching the leader. It could also incorporate technical skills such as bow hold, moving the elbow when crossing string, left hand posture, etc.
Note: The Suzuki violin method fosters non-competitive learning. When we play this game, we take feedback, but in most cases we are all winners. The game is never played so that a student feels inferior at the end.
The Suzuki violin group class activity can take a portion of the class. You may also schedule it to be the entire lesson plan for that day. See ideas below:
How to Schedule the Suzuki Violin Activity:
Ready Lesson Plan for Pre-Twinkle
- Start with rhythms. Students clap rhythms, play them as a call and response.
- Work on a specific technical detail you want students to do (move elbow when crossing strings, perfect bow hold, etc)
- Take that technical concept and make it into the game assigning the judges. In this case:
- Have students come up in front of class and present perfect bow hold, violin posture, etc. Have the judges give feedback. Parents can always be judges for students who are too young.
- Have students come up in front and do something incorrect on purpose.
- At the end, you can tell them to show their own parent that same technical concept and if the parent feels that it has improved, only then they may pack their violins.
Here is my favorite way to schedule the Suzuki violin group class for older students:
Separate the class between:
- One technical element or preview
- One piece (practice staying together, listening, watching the leader)
- Note reading at the end.
- For each to the activities the different judges give feedback
- At the end all students play for the audience (the parents) and the audience votes if they are ready and have learned the material well.
This is also a fantastic way to involve the kids who are not playing a certain piece yet and make them judges. When do they know when to move from one activity to the other? Want to go further? Why not involve the parents as well? Then can vote when the element worked out sounds great! They can be the judges as well.
Related reading: Involving Parents More in Suzuki Violin Group Classes
Additional Suzuki Group Class Activities and Ideas
I am a big fan of creating fun Suzuki violin group class activities that change the pace of the lesson but also provide opportunities for learning in a fun way. See below other Suzuki violin group class ideas you will enjoy doing with your students:
Don’t forget to sign in below so you can be on our mailing list and I can share new ideas and Suzuki violin group lessons and group activities posted on the blog!
Suzuki Group Class Ready Lesson Plans
This year I have started collecting ideas and activities that have worked for me into ready lesson plans so teachers can get them and deliver a great group lesson plan with no extra fuss or extra planning. Find links to some of them below: