As a parent, you’ll likely have a busy schedule, so it can be challenging at times to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The good news is that there are plenty of simple ways that you can boost your health without setting aside too much time. For a few simple and effective ideas, try these ten healthy tips.
1 . Stress Busting Tactics
Being a parent is a fantastic experience, but it can also be stressful at times! It’s important to have stress-busting tactics to keep yourself healthy. For a few stress-busting ideas, check out a few of these:
- Meditation apps: When you’re feeling stressed out, a quick guided meditation session is just what you need. Try apps such as Breathe, or Headspace, for some great mediation and mindfulness sessions.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a fantastic way to relax, and it doesn’t need to take very much time. Simply inhaling the right scents can be great for relaxation. Apply essential oils to a cloth, or dab them onto your skin mixed with a carrier oil.
2 . Save Time With Meal Planning Apps
When you’ve got so much else to do, making family dinners can sometimes feel like a chore! To help you to get organized and save time, these meal planning apps may come in handy:
- Paprika: Using Paprika, you can import recipes from any source and use these to create weekly and monthly meal plans. Once you’ve imported your recipes, Paprika will update your shopping list to make life a whole lot easier.
- Big Oven: With the BigOven app, you can select from a database of 350,000 different recipes. There are different categories, whether you’re looking for fast twenty-minute meals or special meals to plan ahead.
3. 10 Minute Yoga
Yoga is a fantastic exercise to de-stress, but sometimes it can feel like you don’t have time to exercise. For those super busy days, don’t try and force a full hour workout, but try a 10 minute one instead. There are plenty of short yoga sessions on YouTube, or you can try apps such as Daily Yoga or Glo. Both of these applications have sessions from 5 minutes to 60 minutes, so you can choose the duration based on how much time you have spare.
4. Micro-Self Care
We all know that self-care is essential, but it can sometimes feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the day. If you’re having a hectic week, try squeezing in just one micro-self care movement a day, even if it’s only 5-10 minutes. A few ideas include:
- Journaling: Challenge yourself to write just two-three lines per day in a journal. It could be something you are grateful for, a micro-poem, or a positive affirmation.
- Dance challenge: Put on one of your favorite songs and dance like no one’s watching! You’d be surprised how much a little dance can improve your mood!
5. Health Supplements
Let’s face it, some days; your kids and chores will stress you out! On those days when you’re feeling tense, it’s well worth trying out some herbal supplements for stress. Here are a few options:
- Ashwagandha: The Ashwagandha plant grows across North Africa and India; it’s an effective herb to ease stress symptoms and boost your energy levels.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is a white and yellow flower that is used to make tea. You can also purchase chamomile in the form of supplement tablets. It’s an excellent remedy to soothe the symptoms of anxiety and help you to feel calm.
6. Don’t Skip Your ‘Me Time’
As a parent, you’ll often end up putting your kids first. Of course, you’ll want to be there for your children, but it is still essential to keep a little ‘me time.’ Ensure that you still make time to see your friends, keep up your hobbies, and treat yourself to a massage every now and then. Failing to make time for yourself can compromise your health and well being. Whether it’s some alone time to read a book, or talking a short walk in the park, it’s important to take a little space.
7. Exercise With Your Kids
We all know that exercise is so important to keep up your wellbeing. In an ideal world, we’d get to the gym at least a few times a week, (but it doesn’t always work out that way as a busy parent)! If you’re pushed for time, and can’t leave your kids unattended, try getting them involved in your exercise regime. Whether it’s an aerobics video or a short yoga session, kids can make fun exercise partners! Exercising together can be a great way to spend quality time with your child.
8. Regular Physical Exams
It’s important not to skip your health checks; so you should attend the doctor often to have regular physical exams. Keeping up with your health checks can help you improve your well-being and spot any underlying health problems early. You should also remember to book in your dental checks and eye tests. Those who wear eyeglasses can find some great quality products on the Eyeglasses website.
9. Prioritize Your Sleep
A lack of sleep can cause physical and mental health issues, so it’s essential to get at least 7-8 hours a night. If you have trouble sleeping, it’s a good idea to try supplements such as valerian root or magnesium. It can also be useful to try sleep apps such as Sleep Cycle or Relax Melodies Sleep Sounds. The apps include soothing sounds to fall to sleep to, sleep meditations, and tips on getting a better night’s sleep.
10. Wind Down Before Bed
Scrolling on social media or watching TV before bed can make it more difficult to sleep. Try to get into the habit of turning off all your tech at least one hour before you go to sleep. It can be helpful to have an occasional ‘tech detox’ to boost your mental health and reduce your stress levels.
Hopefully, these ten tips will help you to improve your health, relax your mind, and even boost your energy levels.