Now let’s Math Elements Through Music
The book is structures so each page of the book introduces the different chamber music ensembles and how the musical instruments are grouped. The child and their parent get to learn about the duo, trio, quartet, etc.
What if you combined that new knowledge with beginning math?
Instead of asking your child a regular math calculation question, you would use the book and the newly learned concepts to make it more interesting but also more challenging.
Here are sample scenarios:
Q:Two musicians plus one makes a..
Q: Five musicians minus one makes a….
Q: What is seven musicians minus three…
This is much more difficult than it seems! Parents, you may find that you have to think about the answer a bit before your question your child! Your child will need to draw from their knowledge about the different chamber music ensembles. At the same time they would need to connect their math knowledge. This is quite a bit of work for your bright preschooler! What a wonderful way to develop and strenghten their thinking skills combining two disciplines!
- You can draw or print pictures of musical instruments to help your child count.
- Question your child in a fun way. You want to engage them to learn, not pressure them!
- For even more fun, you can get little pieces of fruit, small oreos, or gold fish, pretending that each treat is a “musician”. It will help your child count in a fun way. After your child is done with the math assignment, enjoy the treats together!
If you are an elementary school teacher you principal will LOVE YOU for linking music with math. Remember that cross-curriculum ideas everyone is talking about?
Now for the really fun part:
- Get Zin Zin Zin, A Violin and read it with your child!
- Try the counting activity with your child!
- Observe how it works and how your child responds!
- Write a comment on this blog post with your experience!
The Third and the Sixth person who comments will get a free book delivered to them (US residents only). The books you will get will be featured in our next posts. So by the time you read about them they will be available to you!